QA Testing & Automation Engineer
We’re looking for a skilled quality assurance engineer to collaborate with the City of Austin’s Office of Design and Delivery on incorporating effective testing practices into every development cycle.
We are looking for an experienced, skilled, and passionate QA Testing & Automation professional to help streamline our QA process for current and future projects. The person in this role will ensure timely and frequent release schedules without compromising on quality and accessibility for Austin residents.
This vital position has the potential to create positive change inside our organization and across City of Austin services. The person in this role will be instrumental in shaping the future of digital, accessible, and equitable city services. We’re looking for someone passionate, creative, resourceful, civic-minded, and impact-driven. This may involve a wide range of activities, from helping solidify existing QA, testing, and release protocols to helping write or review unit tests and set up cross-browser testing.
$75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What you’ll do:
- Take the lead in collaborating to build and maintain effective testing practices when appropriate, including:
- Designing and implementing unit tests.
- Evaluating test coverage.
- Setting up automated browser testing.
- Participating in collaborative code reviews with the rest of development staff.
- Serve as a core contributor on multi-disciplinary project teams to improve city services.
- Contribute to Open Source Software projects using Github for collaboration and code review. For a flavor of our current stack, we maintain projects that use:
- Verify that new features, stories, and bug fixes are articulated with testing in mind.
- Be an advocate for testability early in the process of determining user stories and project requirements.
- Assist in scoping and prototyping activities for future design and development projects.
- Work closely with your fellow developers as well as content and design teams to understand new features and projects, watching out for ways their development can be facilitated by robust and efficient QA.
- Help manage product releases and related regression testing.
- Build and share knowledge of web standards and best practices related to testing and QA.
- Engage with the wider web development community, identifying best practices we can adopt and sharing what we’re building and learning.
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve.
What we’re looking for
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve city services.
- 3+ years of professional experience developing applications and services, including at least 2 years of direct experience with testing, QA, and automation.
- Knowledge of or experience with browser testing frameworks such as Selenium or Cypress.
- Knowledge of lean and agile development methodologies.
- Ability to establish processes that recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to gain and maintain the trust of project stakeholders.
- Interest in incorporating long-term testing and automation best practices into our development workflow.
- Two years of relevant work experience.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional four years of experience can substitute this education requirement.