Full Stack Developer Fellowship
We’re looking for a mid to senior Full Stack developer to serve on a multidisciplinary project team, with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
We’re a team of passionate, civic-minded professionals who work to bring the principles, values, and practices of the technology sector into government with one goal in mind - improving the lives of Austin’s residents.
We’re looking for a Texas residing mid to senior Full Stack developer to serve on a multidisciplinary project team, with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design. Compassionate and talented developers interested in helping with frontend development (React.js, CSS/SCSS), backend development (Django, Python, node.js), or devops (AWS, Heroku) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our primary project is creating the next generation official City of Austin website. We’re designing a public sector focused Content Management System written in Wagtail, a Django-based open source CMS. We’re empowering civil servants to publish complex content in a simple way, connecting residents to the services and information that they need.
Learn more about our tech stack:
- The website we’re building: https://alpha.austin.gov
- Janis (react static site that renders the pages that authors create): https://github.com/cityofaustin/janis
- Joplin (where content authors create those pages): https://github.com/cityofaustin/joplin
- Wagtail CMS: https://wagtail.io/
- About the Office of Design and Delivery: https://odd.austintexas.io/
Salary and Benefits
- $75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
- Paid sick time
- Flexible hours
- Remote work (even before Covid we were flexible about remote work)
- City employee discounts and perks (free transit pass for buses and metro, free admission to Barton Springs, and more)
This is a full time, 40-hour/week fellowship with no term limit. However, it is designated as a “temporary position” within the City. This means:
- Only residents of the state of Texas can apply
- No health insurance offered during the first year of employment
- No paid vacation offered, but temporary employees can take unpaid time off as needed
Learn more about benefits here: https://odd.austintexas.io/join/information/benefits/
What to expect in the interview process
- If you are among our top candidates, a team member of the Office of Design & Delivery will contact you to complete a coding challenge.
- If you are selected to continue in the interview process based on your coding challenge, a team member will contact you to schedule a phone screening.
- If you are selected to continue in the interview process based on your coding challenge, a team member will contact you to schedule an online interview with team members.
What you’ll do
We need someone who can jump into our stack:
- Wagtail / Django on the back-end
- React.js on the front-end
- Graphql for our API
- CircleCI for continuous integration
- Docker containers and lambda functions for deployments
- AWS, Heroku, and Netlify for hosting
- Flask, node.js for other ad hoc microservices
It’s okay if you’re unfamiliar with some of these technologies. That’s been the case for everyone who’s joined our team, and we’ve all been able to learn. But we are looking for developers with full stack experience. You don’t have to be an expert at both, but you should have familiarity with both front end and back end development, and strong proficiency with at least one of them.
What we’re looking for
- 3-5+ years of professional experience developing large-scale applications and services
- Commitment to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve
- Engagement with a wide range of digital specialists and stakeholders to define the best approaches to a problem
- Ability to assist in scoping and prototyping activities for future design and development projects
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies and practices
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
Note: we are not able to sponsor H1-B visas.