We review all applications on a rolling basis, so your chances of getting selected are highest if you apply early. Based on the resume, essays, and work samples in each application, we select top candidates for interviews.
As we review applications, we consider the following areas:
- Analysis and creative problem solving: Expertise determining user needs or identifying market opportunities and designing and deploying innovative solutions
- Tools and execution: Experience in iterative design, development, and deployment of solutions using current and emergent technologies and best practices
- Empathy and emotional intelligence: Experience in client-facing roles, navigating processes and bureaucracy, and delivering services with a strong user-facing or consumer-oriented element
- Ability to work well on teams: Experience collaborating with folks from other disciplines on a daily basis, appreciating differences in perspective while also providing deep expertise in their area of specialization. (We’re a large organization, so we want to see evidence that you can thrive in a large organization.)
Our interview process includes a combination of remote sessions over Google Hangouts and in-person sessions at the Faulk Building (800 Guadalupe St) or City Hall (301 W 2nd St). These include the following questions:
- Tell us about yourself. What are your strengths? What drew you to apply to work with us?
- Tell us how you prefer to work within teams. What do you bring to a team? What skills, strengths, or qualities do you need on a team to complement your own? What team environment works best for you?
- Tell us about your experience in user-centered, agile, and/or iterative methods for design, development, and deployment of solutions. How do you know when to use different approaches? What are the most common challenges you’ve experienced with these methods, and how have you responded to them?
- Tell us a about a time when your team, your client, and/or your stakeholders didn’t see eye to eye. What did you do to manage those relationships?
- What is a current issue you really care about? How did your feelings and reactions translate into action?