We’re looking for an experienced visual designer to serve on multidisciplinary project teams with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
Our teams are working to improve a wide range of city services, including researching and redesigning our permitting processes, prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, designing the future of austin.gov, and creating city-wide standards for service design, web development, and user research.
As a member of our Office of Design & Delivery, you’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for your team members and all city staff.
$70,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What you’ll do:
- Support alpha.austin.gov from a visual design perspective, designing all UI elements and assets for the product development pipeline and building trust through a cohesive end-to-end experience.
- Create artifacts to communicate with team members, stakeholders, and the public, including visual comps, motion prototypes, and visual specifications.
- Collaborate with developers to refine a pattern library for interface elements, illustrations, photography, icons, and typography across our projects to ensure usability, accessibility, and efficiency.
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve.
- Contribute to an active and vibrant culture of design at the City of Austin by collaborating across disciplines, coaching team members and stakeholders on design methods, and and creating posters, stickers, and other shareable artifacts.
- Share what we make and how we make it through blog posts, meetups, and other events.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in the hiring process for additional design & technology specialists
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of professional experience designing large-scale interfaces, experiences, and applications.
- Successful track record working with cross-functional teams to create great products and services, with proven skills in presenting ideas, testing prototypes, and asynchronous communication.
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web.
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services.
- 2 years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
- Must attach or include a link to work samples in your application