Full Stack Developer
We’re looking for a mid to senior Full Stack developer to serve on a multidisciplinary project team with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
Our team is working to improve a wide range of city services, which have included researching and redesigning our permitting processes (repo), prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of CTXFloods (repo), and creating city-wide standards for interface design, web infrastructure, and automated testing with Austin.gov (repo).
You’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for other fellows and city staff.
$75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What will you do?
- Contribute to Open Source Software projects using Github for collaboration and code review. For a flavor of our current stack, we maintain projects that use:
- Work with other developers on Office of Design & Delivery team to establish new standards for web development based on modern languages, frameworks, and best practices
- Serve as a core contributor on multi-disciplinary project teams to improve city services
- Assist in scoping and prototyping activities for future design and development projects
- Work with stakeholders to assess legacy systems and identify opportunities for improved performance and the sustainability of future systems
- Be visible to staff and stakeholders and regularly undertake activities to engage and build trust with people involved in area of work
- Engage with the wider web development community, identifying best practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences
- Assist in recruiting, screening, and interview processes for hiring.
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve
- Write blog posts that share what we make and how we make it
What are we looking for?
- 3-5+ years of professional experience developing large-scale applications and services
- Detailed understanding of and experience building server-side web applications and services using modern languages, MVC frameworks, performant database queries and open source software.
- Detailed understanding of and experience with continuous delivery, continuous integration testing, and cloud platforms
- Ability to engage with a wide range of digital specialists and stakeholders to define the best approaches to a problem
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies and practices
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.