We’re looking for an experienced data analyst to help conduct an inventory of the City of Austin’s services, setting a baseline for our digital transformation.
You’ll work alongside our design and delivery teams to develop a scale for assessing how services are provided online, and work across departments to inventory where all of our services fit on that scale.
As a member of our Office of Design & Delivery, you’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for your team members and all city staff.
Between $28 and $40 per hour, commensurate with experience. This is a six-month role with the opportunity to extend for an additional year.
What you’ll do:
- Develop process for assessing services through the entire lifespan of a user’s transaction (learning about the service, creating an account, submitting a transaction, checking on approval status)
- Develop and execute on processes for collecting and storing data about individual city services in ways that can be easily accessed by City staff and members of the public
- Actively refine processes and methods to learn from experience, participating in agile stand-ups, sprint reviews, and retrospectives through the duration of each project
- Continuously document process, key decision points, and progress
- Facilitate conversations about the availability of data for evaluating City services and legacy systems, connecting with City staff across departments and initiatives to complete service assessments and identify opportunities for improving the user experience and sustainability of future systems
- Collaborate with external partners, accepting support from the civic tech community and actively speaking and writing about the process
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years of professional experience in data analysis, business systems analysis, process improvement, user experience design, or related fields
- Experience collaborating on multidisciplinary teams; flexibility and openness to adapting data gathering and analysis methods to fit the needs of a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to zoom in and out on a project; ability to shift from focusing on small details to understanding large system relations and understanding the relationships between
- Awareness of modern practices for user-centered design and iterative web development
- Ability to professionally and productively respond to unexpected hurdles
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.