We’re looking for an experienced copywriter to serve on multidisciplinary project teams with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
Our teams are working to improve a wide range of city services, including researching and redesigning our permitting processes, prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, designing the future of Austin.gov, and creating city-wide standards for service design, web development, and user research.
As a member of our Office of Design & Delivery, you’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for your team members and all city staff.
$50,000 to $75,000, commensurate with experience.
What you’ll do:
- Write for user-centered formats including websites, applications, printed resources, and in-person transactions
- Translate strategic guidelines into copy that is purposeful and on-brand
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to concept, prototype, and implement copy solutions for city services
- Iterate work based on feedback from team members and research
- Guide stakeholders through writing practices
- Research needs of public and city staff to develop inclusive and accessible language
- Help craft documentation and educational materials to share DTI methods with key stakeholders throughout the city
- Share what we make and how we make it through community meetings, blog posts, and other functions
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of professional experience writing copy for online experiences, websites, applications, or advertising
- Knowledge of lean and agile design methodologies
- Ability to engage with a wide range of digital specialists, subject-matter experts, stakeholders, and the public to produce best-in-class solutions
- Experience responding to results from qualitative user research
- Experience writing for a variety of formats including websites, printed resources, and branding material
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Level of seniority will be based on range of work and level of responsibility in experience
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
- Must include writing samples in your application.