Contract Position - Senior Full Stack Developer
We’re looking for Senior Full-Stack Developers to support high-priority projects on 2- to 12-month contracts.
Our team is working to improve a wide range of city services, which have included researching and redesigning our permitting processes (repo), prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of CTXFloods (repo), and creating city-wide standards for interface design, web infrastructure, and automated testing with Austin.gov (repo).
To support high-priority projects through the end of 2018, we’re working with an external recruiting and contracting firm to hire additional developers for short-term 8- and 12-week contracts with an opportunity to extend for additional months or convert to an official City of Austin position.
Between $50 and $65 per hour, commensurate with experience
What will you do?
- Contribute to Open Source Software projects using Github for collaboration and code review. For a flavor of our current stack, we maintain projects that use:
- Work with other developers on Office of Design & Delivery team to establish new standards for web development based on modern languages, frameworks, and best practices
- Serve as a core contributor on multi-disciplinary project teams to improve city services
- Assist in prototyping activities for future design and development projects
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve
- Write blog posts that share what we make and how we make it
What are we looking for?
- 4+ years of professional experience developing large-scale applications and services
- Detailed understanding of and experience building server-side web applications and services using modern languages, MVC frameworks, performant database queries and open source software.
- Detailed understanding of and experience with continuous delivery, continuous integration testing, and cloud platforms
- Ability to engage with a wide range of digital specialists and stakeholders to define the best approaches to a problem
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies and practices
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services